Thursday, 15 December 2011

Dr Oetker's Silver Shimmer Spray

This stuff is great!

I bought some in Tesco when it was on offer for about £2.50. Its usually around £3 to £4 pound so I thought, why not lets give it a go?

The first thing I made with it was a Leaving Cake for somebody at work. A simple 2 layer sponge butter cream and jam covered in ready to roll icing. I was a bit sceptical at first, worried that it was going to look like a finger painting proudly presented by a small child. But to my surprise, it was lovely. Now when it say on the instructions to cover your work surface, my advice is to do as it says, my husband was a little less than impressed when I had spray painted most of our kitchen silver. 

The first coat was a little light, but it does say on the tin that more coats may be required to get the colour you want. After the second coat I was pleasantly surprised, a lovely silver shimmering cake ready to be attacked with a writing pen. Total success! 

The second use was on Candy Cane Cupcakes and again I was very happy with the results. This time I only used one coat as the icing itself was a mint green colour and I didn't want to hide it completely. So the one coat just gave a lovely silver sheen to it, but with the green of the butter cream still showing through. 

It comes in both Silver and Gold. I am yet to try the gold spray, but with Christmas being just around the corner I am sure a bottle will work its way into the shopping trolley very soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment